Thursday 4 October 2007

Something fishy

In contrast to the doom and gloom that I normally write about on these pages, I was pleasantly surprised today when I came across a story about how reputation is helping in a very positive way. Apparently, UCLA in the US has such a good reputation that its marketeers need not leave the comfort of their own offices to attract high quality students the world over. The article specifically referenced its reputation about attracting good swimmers, but I'm sure there's something more fundamental in there.

What struck me as particularly interesting about this is that most of the measures and metrics used to promote educational establishments and attract students come from their performance at teaching, their successes at research etc. Many actually bring up the topic of reputation explicitly. Which got me thinking just how Universities wish to build and promote their reputations. I'm sure this is a very subjective thing to do, but I know in the UK at least that Universities often are quoted at being "good for law" or "good for sport". Fundamentally, these are the building blocks of their reputation.

So come on Professor Blog, come up with a better measure for your University - I'm sure every prospective student would find this very valuable indeed !!

No comments: